March 8, 2021 – Cotabato City
The Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao thru the Bangsamoro Women Commission spearheaded the Kick-off Celebration and Opening Program of the 2021 National Women’s Month Celebration with the theme; We Make Change Work for Bangsamoro Women ” Fatima Laban Sa Pandemya: Kaya!”, which highlighted the significant role and contributions of women in nation building. This also serves as a tribute, a platform, and a call to action that highlights the extraordinary roles of the extraordinary Fatima in the society as trailblazers and harbingers of change. This celebration is also a venue to discuss and address the issues that women continue to face so empowerment can be fully achieved. The campaign is also a call for concrete, sustainable, and inclusive actions toward gender equality.
This year, the 2021 NWMC the Bangsamoro Women Commission will focus its campaign this with the following objectives:
- Provide venue for women in the Bangsamoro, including indigenous People and settlers to generate their unique needs that can be factored-in in the Bangsamoro transition processes;
- Come up with at least one policy recommendation for the protect of women and girls in the Bangsamoro region;
- Recognize women in the Bangsamoro who contributed to their communities in promoting women empowerment, gender equality, and meaningful participation of women in the peace process;
- Provide landscape analysis on Gender Equity issues on the continuing pandemic response and recovery; and
- Strengthen strategic partnership with humanitarian and development partners and BARMM agencies
This year’s campaign is different from the previous ones because it is set in the COVID-19 pandemic backdrop, which posed both challenges and opportunities for women. Hence, this year’s observance highlights women’s participation in battling the pandemic as well as discusses gender issues exacerbated by the pandemic. It is the time to delve deep into the gender issues that emerged or become more felt during the health crisis, feature women who thrived despite the circumstances, and share support systems and government programs that address women’s issues and concerns.